CELEBRATE NATIONAL GRILLED CHEESE MONTH WITH A SWEDISH TWIST
April is National Grilled Cheese Month, and we’re here to help you commemorate this delicious occasion with a twist! This month, why not try adding our mouth-watering Smorgasbord meatballs to your grilled cheese sandwiches for a savoury and scrumptious meal? To get you started, here’s a delightful recipe that’s perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
SMORGASBORD MEATBALL GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH RECIPE
8 Smorgasbord meatballs (cooked according to package instructions)
4 slices of bread (your choice: white, whole wheat, sourdough, etc.)
4 slices of cheese (your choice: cheddar, Swiss, provolone, etc.)
2 tbsp butter, softened
Optional: thinly sliced onion, tomato, or pickles
1. Preheat your pan or griddle over medium-low heat.
2. Butter one side of each bread slice.
3. Place two slices of bread, buttered side down, on the pan or griddle.
4. Add a slice of cheese to each bread slice.
5. Slice the cooked Smorgasbord meatballs in half and place them on top of the cheese. Add any optional toppings like onions, tomatoes, or pickles.
6. Top with the remaining cheese slices and cover with the other bread slices, buttered side up.
7. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the bottom bread slice is golden brown.
Carefully flip the sandwich and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
8. Remove the sandwiches from the pan or griddle, let them rest for a minute, then slice and serve.
In Sweden, cheese is often paired with fruit and crackers instead of bread, creating a popular appetiser or dessert known as “ostbricka.” As you enjoy your Smorgasbord meatball grilled cheese sandwich, why not try incorporating this Swedish tradition into your meal? Serve your sandwich with a side of fresh fruit and crackers for a true fusion of flavours.