Smörgåsbord swedish meatballs baked in a creamy anchovy sauce and topped with a crispy bread crumb top. This recipe serves 2.
*You will need a small cast iron oven dish or ovenproof casserole dish for this recipe.
- 2 x 400g pack of Smörgåsbord Original Swedish Meatballs
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 75ml of chicken stock
- 100ml of double cream
- 1 medium size potato, peeled , grated and rinsed,
- 4 anchovy fillets (if possible buy a jar conserved in oil)
- 1 pinch of freshly chopped chili, mild
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh parsley
- 50g of coarse bread crumbs
- Salt , pepper
Before you begin, pre-heat the oven to 200ºc.
- Next in a sauté pan (or non stick pan) on medium heat, add the oil, when the oil is hot but not smoking, add the onion and the Smörgåsbord Original Swedish Meatballs, and fry off gently together until both are golden brown.
- Then, add the anchovies and the stock and bring up to a gentle simmer. Leave to cook over a gentle heat until the liquid has reduced by almost half.
- Remove the pan briefly from the heat and add cream and the grated potatoes, then return to the heat and bring everything back up to a simmer, add in the parsley followed by the chilli.
- Mix together gently to combine, then transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and bake in the oven until bubbling and the bread crumb top has a lovely brown colour, make sure not to burn the breadcrumb top.
- This dish is delicious for winter time when it´s cold and you want something to warm yourself up. The anchovies bring that lovely salty character to the sauce but the overall flavour is not too fishy!