New Potato Salad with Eggs and Sherry Vinaigrette
– 1kg new potatoes
– 1 fennel bulb 5-8cm long
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp vinegar
– Sherry vinegar, for drizzling
– 1 small handful of spinach leaves, trimmed
– 1 small handful of sorrel leaves, trimmed (optional)
– 1 small handful of mixed lettuce leaves
– 6 chervil sprigs, finely chopped
– 2 mint leaves, finely chopped
– 5 dill sprigs, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
– 2 spring onions, finely chopped
– 4 radishes, finely sliced
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 1tsp Dijon mustard
– 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
– 3 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and simmer the potatoes and fennel stalk over a medium heat for 30 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, hard-boil the eggs. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the teaspoon of vinegar to the water, as this will make the eggs easier to shell after cooking. Place each egg in a ladle, then slowly and carefully slide the egg into the water so that you don’t break the shell. Cook for 8 to 9 minutes, drain and place the eggs under running cold water. When cool enough to handle, shell the eggs, cut in quarters and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and fennel stalk and refresh under cold water. Peel the potatoes, then cut the potatoes and the fennel into thick slices. Put them in a bowl and drizzle with some sherry vinegar.
- Arrange the spinach, sorrel and lettuce on a large serving dish, leaving a space in the centre for the potatoes and fennel. Sprinkle the chervil, mint, dill, spring onions and chives over the greens, season with salt and drizzle with more sherry vinegar. Put the potatoes and fennel in the centre of the dish and arrange the eggs around them.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, put the mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl and season with sea salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, then pour the dressing over the potato salad.
- Sprinkle with extra dill sprigs and the radish slices and serve.