Smörgåsbord meatballs with fresh zingy apple and ginger and a beef jus. This recipe serves 2.
- Smörgåsbord meatballs with fresh zingy apple and ginger and a beef jus. This recipe serves 2.
- 200g of Smörgåsbord meatballs
- 2tbsp of good quality olive oil
- 1 nob of butter
- 100ml of beef stock, or finishing jus
- 100gr of Cumberland sausage, blanched and cut in thick slices.
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 pinch of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut in julienne (thick slices), but not peeled.
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp of chopped chives
- Salt and black pepper
- Firstly, Our chef recommends to always quickly blanch the sausage in boiling water for few minutes, then rinse and pat dry, * this is to avoid the shrinking during the frying process.*
- Put a sauté pan over medium heat and add half of the olive oil and the nob of butter, when hot but not smoking. Add the apple and fry off a little until it takes a little colour but remains crunchy with a touch of softness. When you reach that texture, remove and set aside.
- In that same pan, add the remainder of the oil, the Smörgåsbord meatballs and the sausage and fry together, mixing occasionally. When the meatballs begin to become golden, add onion, ginger, and garlic and continue to cook for few minutes more until the onion starts to toast and soften. Make sure not to burn the mixture.
- Once nicely browned, add the stock and cook off until it thickens and becomes syrupy, and starts to coat the meat. Stir through the chive and add the apple back and serve straight away. This dish pairs perfectly with a lovely side of buttered curly kale .