Smörgåsbord Original Meatballs with Tomate Frito
Tomate frito is a silky traditional home-made spanish tomato sauce perfect served with our meatballs or with freshly cooked spaghetti.
- 3 kilos of ripe tomatoes (Large plum tomatoes are best as they are easy to peel and have a good depth of flavour)
- 1 medium Italian green pepper
- 2 white onions
- salt to taste
- A teaspoon of sugar (to counterbalance acidity, you can skip this if you prefer)
- For this recipe we will need a non-stick pan. Peel the tomatoes and cut into small chunks, making sure to remove the heart of the tomato which can be slightly woody.
- Next cut the Italian pepper into two halves and the onion into quarters and add to the pan.
- Add the salt and the sugar and gently heat the mixture over a medium heat until the liquid from the tomatoes is almost all evaporated and the sauce has a thick and creamy texture. (This will take between 1 hour and a half to 2 hours but is totally worth the wait!) Make sure to stir the sauce occasionally and adjust the salt as necessary.
- Once the sauce is complete blend until smooth and if you wish you can sieve the mix to have a perfectly silky sauce.
- Serve with our original meatballs (fried off a little for extra crispiness) and spaghetti or for an extra kick why not pair this delicious home-made sauce with our spicy snack balls.