Marinated overnight in red wine, pancetta, chestnut mushroom, onions. Served with tagliatelle.
1 x 400g pack of Smörgåsbord Original Swedish meatballs
1 medium Onion, peeled, chopped
3 tbsps of Sunflower Oil
100g of diced Pancetta, blanched in hot boiling water for 2 minutes, then poured through a sieve and set aside
2 cloves of Garlic peeled and chopped
1 small Carrot, peeled, diced
1 Bouquet Garni
1 bottle of good Red Wine (from Burgundy if possible as the recipe is from that area)
1 small bag of finishing Beef Stock
Flour, 1-2 tablespoons to thicken the sauce (Note: If you use the finishing Beef Stock, you will not need the flour, and vice versa)
75g of small Pickled Onion, rinsed in cold water, then blanched to take the acidity out. Set aside in a small dish.
100g of small button Chestnut Mushrooms
2 tbsp of fresh Chopped Parsley
There is no need to marinate the meatballs as are already pre-cooked.
- Put about two tbsps sunflower oil in a sauté pan. When hot but not smoking, throw in the meatballs and roast until golden brown, do not burn.
- Remove and keep aside. In that same pan, throw in the chopped veg, and soften them on medium heat. When ready, sprinkle with the flour and mix well. Pour in the red wine, and reduce by a quarter, it will get rid of the acidity and bring a deeper purple colour. Add the bouquet garni and cook slowly. Cover for a good 20 minutes. If necessary, add couple of spoons of warm water as you need enough liquid.
- While this is cooking, put the rest of the oil in another pan. On medium heat, start to roast the pancetta to a lovely light colour, then add the mushrooms, roast them with the pancetta, and finally add the baby onions, that will be your beautiful garnish. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
- Now, the sauce should be shiny and ready to add the meatballs and get them hot through.
- Serve when ready, with creamy mash, or tagliatelle, and now add the lovely pancetta, mushroom and onions to the meatballs dish. Yum! So good.